Week 2 & 4 Update {No Extras Month}

I’ll be quick with these updates. Weeks 2 & 4 were definitely not as hard for me. Maybe because in Week 2 I started getting rid of/selling stuff, and it felt so good. 

Week 2

-once again we used 1/2 a tank of gas

-we did not go grocery shopping; we stretched our groceries from the week before

-I did however buy some sand toys (that were marked down 50%) from Target for the kids beach bags. It was a joint effort between me and my sister-in-law. I really must show you the bags.

-We treated some new friends to a local Cajun restaurant. I would have been more than happy to cook for them, but they are new to town and we really wanted to introduce them to this place- it’s really cheap and good!

Week 4

– we used a little over 1/4 tank of gas

– once again we did not go grocery shopping; we had a bunch of leftover food in Florida that we split with Mark’s brother so we made that work all week

– I continued selling/consigning/donating items.

Just a reminder, if it’s not obvious, that we did not participate in Week 3 because we were on vacation. Even then, we did not spend much extra. It’s hard to just “turn off” the No Extras mindset. I think that is a good thing. This month has been good. I can see how this is going to change our spending in future months. It made us more aware. More aware that even though we eat at home 90% of the time, the other 10% adds up. More aware that less is more. And more aware that when we have less, we have less to take care of meaning we have more time with each other and don’t need more toys/things to occupy the kids in order to “gain” more time to get things done. Make sense?

I think this will definitely become a once a year (at least) thing until we are satisfied with how we handle our money. And even then, think about how awesome it would be to grow up doing this as a family in order to give the money saved to some charity or foundation or a family in need or to save up for a family mission trip……oh the possibilities.

What do you think? Would you do it for a month? Would you consider making it a family tradition? Or did you grow up doing something similar?

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under No Extras Month

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s